Pages

Sunday 27 January 2013

5 songs which remind me of my teenage years

I actually got in to music a lot later than normal people, seeing as I always had my head buried in a book. However, once I did start getting interested in music, I bought some amazing (in my opinion) singles. I still own most of these singles on my iTunes, and they've become synonymous with my teenage years and the various experiences I went through, good and bad. Let's be honest, you have a lot of bad experiences when you're a teenager which always seem a lot worse at the time. Here are the top 5... I've also included the YouTube links so that you can have the pleasure of watching the videos after all these years. You lucky, lucky people.

Back for Good, Take That
I used to play this song over and over again before I'd even had the pleasure of going through a break up... naturally I played it even more when that first joyous event took place. I might have been less angsty if I'd realised that there was worse to come in my early 20s. Ah well, you live and learn, as they say. I've now seen Take That live twice, and can confirm that they are amazing. No, I don't include Robbie Williams in that judgement.



Bring it all Back, S Club 7
I used to watch Miami 7 religiously in the 90s, and was a little bit obsessed with S Club 7. I still own every album they ever released and listen to them regularly... I especially enjoy singing along to their songs enthusiastically when I'm driving. Bring it all Back was a particular favourite because it made me feel better about being bullied, but S Club Party and Reach are close contenders. Don't stop, never give up!



Better Best Forgotten, Steps
I never actually owned a Steps album when I was a teenager, but I used to 'borrow' my sister's all the time. Don't worry, I own them all now, I found a beautiful box set of all their albums in the HMV sale. Again, very difficult to choose a favourite but I think it has to be Better Best Forgotten... Again, it helped me through a lot of teenage angst, or at least I thought it did at the time. Being a teenager is horrible, isn't it?



If I Let You Go, Westlife
I definitely fancied most of Westlife when I was a teenager, on a shallow note... I did like their songs too though. I got to see them live a few years ago, and they were actually really good and put on a brilliant show. Continuing with the angsty theme, I used to play this song mournfully when I was too shy to tell a boy I liked them (which was all the time). Ugh, remember those days? When you had to tell your friend you liked someone, then they told that someone's friend, then they told that someone, who then reported back to their friend, who reported back to your friend, who reported back to you? I really hope that didn't just happen in my school.




Rollercoaster, B*Witched
This song is amazing... I wore out my cassette back in the day because I listened to it so much. Whatever happened to B*Witched anyway? I heard a rumour that they're getting back together... PLEASE LET IT BE TRUE.



So there are my top 5 songs from my teenage years, which I'm not going to pretend I don't still listen to. Other people love some of these too, right?



2 comments:

  1. Ah, S Club 7... Love them. The image of you mournfully thinking about Barry Chuckle or Little Cousin Scampy while listening to If I Let You Go will never leave me... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You jest, but I did mournfully think about rugby players while I listened to it x

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! :)