Pages

Thursday 6 February 2014

Monthly cinema round up: January

I've decided to start a new monthly series... a cinema round up! Since investing in my Cineworld Unlimited card, I've seen a LOT of films. I thought my blog would be a great place to keep track of how many films I've seen each month and to (briefly) document what I thought of them. I'll also post my favourite film every month... I suspect that a lot of people will disagree with this month's choice! But hey ho, variety is the spice of life, as they say. I'm not sure who actually uses that phrase, but it is quite applicable here.

So here's what I saw in January:


Frozen
I love love love this film more than words can express. I'd already seen it once in December but absolutely had to see it again this month. I love the characters (especially Olaf), the plot, the soundtrack, the costumes, the Disneyfication... huge thumbs up!

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Lovely heart warming film. I'm not always a big fan of Ben Stiller but this is definitely one of his better films. Some people would probably think parts of the film were just too random, but I thought it all worked together really well.

Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
Amazing film. Idris Elba is fantastic as Mandela, and the film is hugely inspirational, harrowing and awe inspiring throughout. It's made me want to read up on South African history and to learn more about the horrors of apartheid, and I assume that the film is a very accurate representation.

Delivery Man
Although this film is a comedy, it has some very sad undertones. I thought it tackled the complex issues really well and I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. It's just a shame that there were little children in the screening who messed around for the whole film! I strongly dislike the fact that children younger than 12 can watch 12A films in the cinema, especially films of this nature.

The Wolf of Wall Street
I'm afraid I'm not going to rave about this film like everyone else seems to be doing. Brilliant acting, great story, and it's easy to forget that the film is three hours long as it does really draw you in. However, the film is full of swearing and drug use and I really despise both those things. One major observation about this film... Donna from Neighbours has gone up in the world!

12 Years a Slave
One of the most harrowing films I've ever seen. Again, the acting was amazing with a spectacular cast but I don't think I'd have the stamina to watch this film again! It contains some extremely graphic scenes which won't even begin to scratch the surface of what people suffered during that period.

American Hustle
Not the best film I saw in January, but it was very humorous and had a good plot. Jennifer Lawrence and Christian Bale are brilliant!

Last Vegas
I LOVED this film. I thought it might be one of those films that tries too hard to be funny, but it was genuinely hilarious. Morgan Freeman was definitely my highlight in this film. 'You had fifty people in here?!' You probably won't find that quote funny unless you've seen the film. Let it be known that I laughed until I cried at that sentence for about ten minutes.


And my favourite film last month was... Frozen! No contest.

Check back at the beginning of next month for February's update :)

2 comments:

  1. I love Frozen too. I've seen it 3 times. The first time i was the only one watching the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely one of my favourite Disney films of all time! x

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! :)