Pages

Monday 23 June 2014

Restaurant review: Prezzo

Neil and I went to Prezzo for dinner last Saturday night to celebrate our third anniversary. We went to Prezzo on our very first date in 2011 and again to celebrate our first anniversary, so we thought it was about time we went back for another special occasion.

We decided to go to the Prezzo restaurant in St David's 2 (Cardiff's newest shopping centre and food court) and booked a table for 6pm. As it happens, we needn't have booked as it was very quiet, but it's always best to be safe when you want to eat out promptly in Cardiff on a Saturday night. We didn't want to be hanging around for an hour waiting to be seated on our anniversary, and I don't deal well with waiting for food when I'm hungry!

We ordered a diet Coke each to start... we would usually splash out on some wine but we were going to the cinema after the meal and we're also busy saving money. Why does diet Coke always taste so much nicer when it's come from a posh glass bottle? Much more refreshing than a glass of wine on a hot day!




We always order a bread board to start in Prezzo as it's amazing, quite frankly. However, it does fill us up very quickly if we're not really starving before we start. Luckily, we were ravenous on Saturday so we relished the challenge of the bread board. 




The pesto and tomato bread is probably my favourite, but I also love the mozzarella and garlic pizza bread and the plain ciabatta with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. The dips are so simple, but you can't beat a piece of plain ciabatta dipped in oil and balsamic. I just love bread! 




I love Prezzo's oven-baked Al Forno dishes so I chose the pollo carbonara for my main meal. I was a bit worried that it would be overly creamy as I'm not a big fan of carbonara that's been made with too much cream, but it was just right. It was a massive portion so I couldn't eat it all, but I really enjoyed it. It also made a nice change as I usually order pizza or tomato-based meals in Italian restaurants. There was loads of chicken in it... it's always nice when restaurants don't skimp on chicken! The cheese on the top was mild enough to complement the overall flavour rather than overpower it, and the spaghetti was lovely and tender. Thumbs up!






We decided against ordering dessert as we were both so full... the gelato burger did sound intriguing though! Maybe next time. 

Although Prezzo is slightly more expensive on average than some of the other Italian restaurants in Cardiff, it is a lovely restaurant with an upmarket feel to it so I think the price is justified for a special occasion. Our meal cost approximately £34 for two diet Cokes, a sharing starter and two main meals. This might be on the expensive side for our normal Saturday meals, but some would probably consider this quite a cheap meal for an anniversary!

Have you ever been to Prezzo? What did you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! :)