Pages

Tuesday 11 November 2014

Food, glorious food (and drink) - Honeymoon style #2

After eating our way around Rome, we moved on to Malcesine in Lake Garda to discover what food and drinks this little town in the north of Italy had to offer. Quite a lot, as it happens.

We operated at a much slower pace in Malcesine which meant that we had more time to enjoy a few afternoon cocktails. I loved the way we were presented with a little bowl of crisps every time we ordered a drink... I have an unhealthy love for crisps.

If it's even possible, I think we ate even more in Malcesine than we did in Rome. Here are some of the delights we enjoyed during our stay:



My first Bellini of the holiday



Sometimes you just can't beat a pepperoni and cheese panini



Hawaiian pizza



I can't remember what this orange cocktail was called,
but it was lovely!



A simple but amazing starter... glorified cheese on toast
with lots of garlic and olive oil 



Spaghetti, chilli and olive oil... what's not to like?



Yes, we had lots of gelato here too... 



Epic pizza slice!



Glass of wine... I love the bubble glass



This was a STARTER. There were about ten mozzarella balls hidden
underneath the eggs and the cheese strips!



Steak and chips. My first ever steak!



Spinach and ricotta calzone



My favourite cocktail of all time. White Russian!



Lovely breakfast hot chocolate at the hotel



Aperol Spritz. Everyone drinks this in Malcesine!



Another epic pizza slice



More meat and cheese



Looks unappetising but this was one of my favourite meals
of the honeymoon... ravioli with smoked cheese and pistachio sauce



Mint mousse dessert with a shot of limoncello



Lunchtime Strawberry Daiquiri! 



Yet another spaghetti bolognese



More wine!



Last dessert in Malcesine... ice cream bomb



Lovely Pina Colada at the hotel bar



My large and varied breakfast on the last morning... 


We were in Malcesine for six days. That's a lot of eating and drinking opportunities, as you can see from the disgusting amount displayed above. I loved every second of it and don't regret a single bite/sip. 

Food and drink was extremely reasonable in Malcesine (2 euros for a huge pizza slice!) and we ate all our meals outside. Usually under some kind of canopy or sun umbrella, but still outside! Such a lovely relaxing place, and perfect for casually eating and drinking all afternoon (and evening). 

I'll be publishing my last instalment in a few days where I reluctantly admit to what I ate and drank in Venice. Watch this space!

1 comment:

  1. Get me to Italy right now. The ravioli sounds amazing (although you're right, it looks a little odd). White Russians are brilliant. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! :)