Pages

Tuesday 15 December 2015

Twelve posts of Christmas #2 - Favourite Christmas films

One of my favourite things about the Christmas period is snuggling up with the Christmas tree lights on and watching a Christmas film (or several Christmas films). I also have an annual ritual where I sit and wrap presents while watching a festive film and eating a big bag of crisps... I'm definitely a creature of habit.

I thought I'd list my top ten Christmas films as part of my 'twelve posts of Christmas' series. Do you agree with any of my choices below, or do you have any to add?


1. Santa Claus the Movie
This is my favourite Christmas film of all time and, for me, it's totally synonymous with all things Christmas. For as long as I can remember, my brother and I have watched this film on Christmas Eve with a load of festive snacks. It's wonderfully old fashioned and unintentionally hilarious, and it'll ALWAYS be my favourite Christmas film.

2. Home Alone
I must have seen this film about fifty times and it never gets old. I always wanted to live in Kevin's house when I was younger and now I just wonder how much their mortgage must be, but that doesn't make the film any less appealing. I love the plot, love the soundtrack, love the acting, love the setting... what's not to love? 'Why are you dressed like a chicken?'

3. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
Yes, Home Alone 2 deserves its own separate entry. Although I marginally prefer the first instalment, Home Alone 2 comes a very close second. I love the Christmassy New York scenes, not to mention the fact that the two burglars should definitely have been killed by Kevin's antics at least five times each by the end of the film.

4. Miracle on 34th Street
This film makes me well up (several times) every time I watch it. Such a traditional film which is heart wrenching at times, and with a lovable non-tacky Santa Claus as a bonus. The ridiculously far fetched ending makes me love it even more!

5. Nightmare before Christmas
I'm never sure if this film should be classed as a Halloween film or a Christmas film, so I always watch it in between the two. It's such a clever film with an excellent soundtrack, beautiful imagery and imaginative characters. 'What's this? What's this? There's colour everywhere!'

6. The Santa Clause
I haven't watched this one as many times as the top three but it still makes my top ten. I love the fact that the opening scenes are a lot more authentic than other Christmas films... everyone can relate to ruining the Christmas dinner! This was one of the first films I ever saw in the cinema and I'll always remember laughing hysterically when Santa fell off the roof!

7. Muppet Christmas Carol
So much love for this film... another one I used to watch with my family from a very early age. We have a lot of in-moments we love about this film which no one else will be able to fathom, such as 'squashed baby face' and 'Spirit? Yes? Nothing'. Ahhh, good times!

8. Arthur Christmas
The newest film on the list, but definitely worthy of a place in the top ten. My husband and I saw this film in the cinema a few years ago and immediately fell in love with it. Although some of the the old films can never be beaten, it's good to see that lovely Christmas films with a bit of longevity are still being made.

9. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Although I must admit that I haven't seen this film for about fifteen years, it used to be a Christmas staple when I was younger. I remember finding the whole thing totally hilarious and I eventually wore out the video tape on which it was recorded!

10. The Holiday
Not strictly a Christmas film in the same sense as the others, but it takes place at Christmas so I'm sneaking it in at number ten. This is definitely a feel-good film which always makes me feel cosy and Christmassy... it also initially makes me think a house swap might be a good idea (for about ten minutes).


What's your favourite Christmas film?

1 comment:

  1. Santa Claus The Movie! Obvs! We watched A Muppets Christmas Carol last night and I thought of you during the 'Spirit? Yes? Nothing.' part! I've included this in my '5 Awesomely Christmassy Posts' round up :)

    Liz x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! :)