Pages

Tuesday 29 July 2014

Cardiff Food and Drink Festival 2014

I blogged about the Cardiff Food and Drink Festival last year, and this year's event was just as enjoyable. We visited on the Sunday this year and Cardiff Bay was flooded with glorious sunshine (and hoards of people) all afternoon.






We were ravenous by the time we arrived so decided to find some lunch straight away. I went for the healthiest lunch option I could find... a savoury crépe! I have got a wedding dress to fit into, after all. I went for the Popeye option which was filled with spinach, red onion and ricotta. 






I did think the crépe should have been a bit fuller as I paid £5.50 for it. It did taste lovely though so I won't complain too much. I've also never tried a savoury crépe before so it's something to tick off my list. 

After finishing our lunch, we wandered around the various stalls to try a few free samples and comment extensively on all the tantalising smells. We suffered from a great deal of food and drink envy in the process as we couldn't physically try/buy EVERYTHING. 

One of our favourite stalls was the Chocolate Brownie Company... we just had to sample some of these beauties! Neil bought a selection of strawberry, orange and caramel brownies and they were amazing. 








A visit to a food festival wouldn't be complete without an ice cream... actually, for me, a visit to pretty much anywhere isn't complete without an ice cream. After hearing lots of positive stories about the legendary Sub Zero ice cream at last year's food festival, we decided to try it for ourselves this year. I went for the Caramel Crunch and the Strawberry and can confirm that it lived up to the hype! Definitely the best ice cream I've had for a long time. 




I enjoyed trying lots of free samples of the various jams and chutneys on offer, even though I had no intention of buying any of them at those prices. So much garlicky goodness! I was fascinated by the copious garlic displays... I'm not entirely sure why. I must really love garlic. 








Last but not least, I mustn't forget to mention the many many cheese stands. I used to think I didn't like any type of cheese apart from a very mild Cheddar but I've now (thankfully) been convinced otherwise. There's a whole world of cheese out there! This new-found enthusiasm for cheese resulted in me trying a few wacky flavours at the food festival. I'm a changed woman, clearly. Actually, I refused to pay these prices too so I probably haven't changed that much. 




I'm already researching other food festivals to visit and am looking forward to next year's Cardiff instalment! Did you go to the food festival this year? What was your favourite stall?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! :)