Pages

Thursday 17 July 2014

Latest cooking adventure... Moroccan Rice!

I haven't cooked a proper meal for weeks as I've been so busy so I decided to set aside an evening last week to actually cook something substantial. I was getting very bored of beans on toast and pasta and pesto!

I dug out my 'Mince 100 Everyday Recipes' cookbook and decided to try the Moroccan Rice dish as it had lots of varied flavours in it and was different to anything I'd ever cooked before.

Here's how it turned out...




I'm well aware that it doesn't look very appetitising in this photo but I was really pleased with the finished product. I would never have thought of combining some of these ingredients but everything worked together perfectly. It tasted even better on the second and third day! I haven't had a freezer for the last two years so I often eat the same thing for four successive meals... let's just say I'm very excited about having a freezer soon. 

Here's how how I made the Moroccan Rice:


Ingredients

500g fresh beef mince
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground turmeric
100g dried apricots, roughly chopped
50g raisins
225g basmati rice
600ml beef stock
2 tbsp pine kernels, to garnish 


Method

1. Dry fry the mince in a frying pan/wok for 4-5 minutes until it starts to brown.
2. Add the onion and garlic and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. I always add much more garlic than the recipe recommends... garlic is good!
3. Add the cumin seeds, cinnamon and turmeric and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.

4. Add the apricots, raisins, rice and stock. Cover and cook for 15-18 minutes until the rice is tender. I had a slight problem with this step as my wok doesn't have a lid... I put foil over the top to try to stop the water evaporating but it didn't really work so my rice wasn't cooked as well as it could have been. Just something to bear in mind! Don't panic, I'm still here to tell the tale so I didn't get poisoned by my partially cooked rice. 

5. Scatter the pine kernels over the top and serve immediately. 


I'll definitely be making this dish again soon. Has anyone got any other recipes for me to try? 

1 comment:

Thanks for your comment! :)