Pages

Monday 27 May 2013

Climbing Pen y Fan

My boyfriend and I decided to climb Pen y Fan on Saturday, which is apparently the highest peak in South Wales. It's situated in the Brecon Beacons National Park and is surrounded by beautiful scenic views. We've been meaning to climb it for months, but have never had the time or the weather to do it. We thought the bank holiday weekend would be a great opportunity, so we armed ourselves with water and sun cream and went for it.

Firstly, of course, we had to make sure we had enough energy to actually complete the climb...


Neil's home made jambalaya!


After filling ourselves with jambalaya, we drove to Brecon in the sunshine and parked in a very full car park. Obviously a lot of people had the same idea as we did. The climb presented lots of opportunities for me to use my new phone camera, as there were amazing views every step of the way. I go to the gym three or four times a week, but still found the climb pretty strenuous as I've never climbed any kind of peak before. However, I was spurred on by the fact that numerous children and dogs were bounding up and down without a care in the world. We kept going at a steady pace and completed the climb in about 40 minutes. The view at the top was very rewarding!

I took loads of photos during the climb and at the top, but here are the best of the bunch... 










Climbing back down was possibly harder than climbing up, due to the uneven cobbled path. Luckily, I didn't fall and only had one minor skid. An impressive amount of exercise for a Saturday!

We obviously worked up an appetite, so went to Pizza Hut a few hours later then went to see The Great Gatsby. Blog post to follow on that!



Hawaiian pizza with a bit of red onion thrown in... old school. 


Has anyone else climbed Pen y Fan? I would like to tackle Snowdon next... I'll keep you posted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! :)