Pages

Friday 16 August 2013

Cardiff Bay Beach!

Yes, you did read the title correctly. There is actually a makeshift beach and associated beachy frivolities in Cardiff Bay. When I first heard about this, I thought it was the most ridiculous idea I'd ever heard. However, when I visited the 'beach' last Friday, I absolutely loved it and thought it was a great concept.




The beach and its surrounding festivities are situated in the 'dome' outside Cardiff Bay's Millennium Centre, right in the heart of Mermaid Quay and all its bars and restaurants. There's a beach with deckchairs, pool area, crazy golf, cocktail bar, ice cream hut, artificial palm trees, helter skelter and loads more. It's amazing how much they've managed to cram into the space! The area was filled with people and, miraculously, it wasn't tacky at all. Let's be honest, an idea like this could have gone terribly wrong and ended up being a tacky disaster. 

Unfortunately (and typically), the weather has deteriorated since the beach opened so it probably hasn't been as popular as it could have been. Hopefully the weather will improve again in the next few weeks so that people can make the most of it before the end of the summer holidays. 







I'm hoping to fit in another visit to Cardiff Bay Beach before I go on holiday... I might even have a cheeky cocktail next time. Has anyone visited the 'beach'? What did you think of it?

P.S. Thanks to my boyfriend for taking these photos... I still haven't got my smartphone back so couldn't take any myself! 

4 comments:

  1. How fun!! A makeshift beach!! so awesome!! Nothing like the real thing but if you live far from it then it's the next best thing, no?! :)

    I hope you'll have a chance and stop by my blog. All about Beauty. Life. and DIY. If you ever have a an OTD, LOTD, hair or nail tutorial, or a fun fashion DIY, I'd love for you to share it at "That's my Style" Link party every Friday. Don't have anything to share? Stop by anyway for beauty tutorial and fun DIY projects. Hope to see you there. :)

    Karla @ www.MySerendipitousLife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely :) Thanks for the link, I'll have a look x

      Delete
  2. I really, really want to go visit this before it goes, I think it is going the early part of September?
    It looks great! x

    Leanne - A Slice of My Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the last weekend this weekend! It really is a great idea x

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! :)