Pages

Monday 26 August 2013

Restaurant review: Chimichanga

Yes that's right, I went to another chain restaurant! My boyfriend and I were wandering around the food court in St David's 2 last Saturday trying to decide what to eat after a traumatic few hours (long story!). Neither of us felt like pizza or a burger. so we decided to give Chimichanga a go as we hadn't had Mexican food for a while. We approached the restaurant at around 5pm and were seated straight away by a lovely friendly waiter. Always a good start!




Neither of us had eaten properly all day so we decided to go the whole hog and opt for starters, which is quite rare for us. It didn't take us long to decide on a starter to share, but it took me ages to decide between a burrito, chimichanga and enchilada. I know there's not a massive difference between the three but I was in an indecisive mood. I eventually decided on a chilli con carne chimichanga, seeing as I was in Chimichanga and all that. A restaurant called Burrito or Enchilada wouldn't have quite the same ring to it... I think they made the right choice.



Chimi's Combo


Our Chimi's Combo starter was immense. It came with chorizo potato skins, chicken wings in barbecue sauce, jalapeno bullets, Mexican spring rolls, chipotle chilli sauce and sour cream. I didn't eat any of the chicken wings as I don't like cutting chicken off the bone (don't ask...), but I loved the other three options. I also had the pot of sour cream all to myself which is always good. Dangerous, but good. The chorizo potato skins didn't contain as much chorizo as I would have liked, but you can never have enough chorizo. Luckily, we were still hungry after devouring the starter!



Chilli con carne chimichanga


We didn't have to wait long for our main meals. My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw mine... I enjoy  a bit of good presentation! My chimichanga was sitting on a bed of spicy rice and topped with guacamole, sour cream, salsa, chives and tortilla chips. When I cut the chimichanga open, it was oozing with cheese and chilli con carne. They definitely didn't skimp on the filling, and the chilli con carne was the perfect accompaniment to the rest of the burrito. I ate the whole thing and absolutely loved it. Thankfully, they didn't put any pointless salad leaves on the side. Does anyone ever actually eat those?

I haven't always heard good reports about Chimichanga, but I would definitely recommend it if you're looking for a Mexican fix. The staff were friendly and attentive, and I do like the atmosphere in the St David's 2 food court. I cook a lot of Mexican food myself as I find it quite easy, but I wouldn't be able to reach the standard of the food above. Although the meal was fairly expensive at approximately £34 for two of us with no drinks (we both had tap water), we did have a large starter which went some way towards justifying the cost. 

Has anyone else been to Chimichanga? What did you think? 

5 comments:

  1. We eat at Chimichanga fairly frequently, it's the only good Mexican restaurant in Cardiff in my opinion. The service is always good and I've never had a bad meal there.

    Their chicken quesadilla is a particular favourite of mine. The pico de gallo is also really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think it was nicer than Chiquito. Excited about Mission Burrito though! x

      Delete
  2. That does look pretty good, I bloody love Mexican food! My latest Mexican love is Wahaca. Amazingly fresh, although no melted cheese in sight!

    Liz xx

    Distract Me Now Please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mexican food is amazing. Never heard of that... I shall keep a look out! x

      Delete
  3. Mmmm, I love chimi changa, it's always my fourite in St Davids. Where in Wales are you from?

    Please come check out my latest post if you have time :)

    Fragile Bird | www.fragile-bird.blogspot.co.uk

    Helen

    x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! :)