Pages

Saturday 6 July 2013

The travelling bug

After travelling to New York earlier this year and planning for our second trip to Florida in September, I've become a bit obsessed with travelling and going on holiday. I'm already thinking about potential holiday destinations for next year, and Italy is very high on my wish list. I found the travel questions below on Luchesse's blog so I decided to give them a go as I'm so interested in travelling at the moment. I'm definitely not as well travelled as some (I didn't even get a passport until I was 21!), but I'm hoping to rectify this in the next few years. So here goes...


1. Which airport would you like to never see again?

I've never been to a terrible airport... I assume I'm very lucky in this respect! I wasn't a big fan of JFK airport in New York as I thought it would be much more impressive. It was also pretty stressful trying to find out where we needed to be at different times, but this could have just been because of the sheer size of the place. I'll be visiting Orlando airport in September for the first time (we flew to Sanford this year), so hopefully that'll be a continuation of my good experience with airports!


2. What is your travel nightmare?

Being told that my hold luggage has been taken to a completely different country and that it'll take days for me to get it back, or that I won't get it back at all. This would totally stress me out and would probably spoil my holiday, even though I assume I'd be compensated. The other nightmare would be massive delays... we experienced a 7 hour delay last October when we flew to Edinburgh from Bristol, and it wasn't pleasant!


3. Would your rather stay in a fancy hotel and do less activities or stay in a hostel and do more activities?

I'd prefer to go for something in the middle. For example, when we visit Edinburgh, we always stay in the Premier Inn which is very reasonable. It's always nice to stay in a fancy hotel, but I'd prefer to have enough money left over for food, attractions and souvenirs. I stayed in a hostel once and didn't have a great experience, so I wouldn't do it again.


4. Do you have any pre-travel rituals?

I absolutely have to write a list of what I need to pack. The list is divided into hand luggage and hold luggage, and items are neatly crossed off as I pack them. How on earth do people pack without a list?! I also have to clean my house/flat from top to bottom before I go on holiday. No one wants to come back to a messy home after travelling!


5. What is your favourite airline to fly with?

I've only ever flown with Flybe, EasyJet, British Airways and Thompson so haven't got much experience with a variety of airlines. British Airways has to be the best out of those four, and EasyJet is definitely the worst. They were the cause of aforementioned 7 hour delay... enough said.


6. If you could take a trip anywhere in the world, where would you go?

I really really want to go to California. It even has a Disneyland!


7. How do you survive long haul flights?

I take a book or two, plenty of sweets, and a bottle of water. I don't tend to sleep much, so I amuse myself by reading or trying to watch a film. However, I'm yet to watch an entire film on a flight. I mostly spend the whole time wondering when my next meal will be arriving!


8. What is your favourite stamp in your passport and why?

Probably the one I had when I went to Florida last year, as it was the best holiday I've ever had.


9. What are your top 3 necessary items for travel?

a) Comfortable shoes! I love seeing lots of different places when I go on holiday, which usually means lots of walking. I definitely don't enjoy sitting on a beach all day.
b) My camera. Everything must be photographed. EVERYTHING. 
c) My hair straighteners. An everyday essential!


10. What's your favourite holiday photograph of all time? (I added this question myself, I don't like odd numbers!)


Taken from the top of the Empire State Building. I'm so proud of this photo!


Has any one else caught the travelling bug? Please leave me a link to your answers if you decide to tackle these questions :)

2 comments:

  1. It probably won't surprise you if I say, yes I have been :) Great post, I'm going to do this one xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just corrected the error in the last but one sentence... I must have been tired when I wrote this one! Looking forward to reading yours :) x

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! :)