Pages

Monday 7 April 2014

Monthly cinema round up: March

Although I had a very busy March, I still managed to fit in six trips to the cinema with my Cineworld Unlimited Card. Not bad!

Without further ado, here's what I saw in March:

Non-Stop 
I wasn't expecting too much from this film if I'm honest, but I actually really enjoyed it. The plot was engaging and the level of suspense was great, even if the ending was a little predictable. Liam Neeson is very good as always!

The Book Thief
Possibly the saddest film I've ever seen. A heartbreaking representation of life in Nazi Germany, told from the perspective of a little girl and occasionally narrated by Death. Apparently the book it's based on is entirely narrated by Death, but I'm guessing it would have been too difficult to sustain that narrative technique throughout the film. I cried (silently)  for the last hour or so of the film... I couldn't watch it again, but I definitely want to read the book!

Muppets Most Wanted
Hilariously random. Who doesn't love the Muppets? However, I did prefer the previous film, purely because I can't stand Ricky Gervais. Constantine does make a brilliant villain though!

A Long Way Down
A moving dark comedy which focuses on four very different individuals who are dissatisfied with their lives for various reasons and are at breaking point. I was excited about seeing this film after watching the trailer, and it definitely didn't disappoint. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll feel awkward, you'll feel fortunate... it's brilliant! 

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Captain America is actually one of my least favourite Avengers, but this was a great film. There were a few surprising twists... possibly they wouldn't be surprising for bigger Marvel fans, but they were surprising for me. Definitely worth seeing!

Labor Day
This was an extremely intense film which actually makes the viewer feel quite uncomfortable at times, and this is precisely what was intended due to the nature of the plot.  A very well made film which was tense, emotional, sad and heart warming in equal measures.


And my favourite film in March was... A Long Way Down, closely followed by The Book Thief (even if it did traumatise me).


I've got lots of great films lined up for April already... look out for April's round up in a few weeks! 

2 comments:

  1. A Long Way Down sounds amazing, I'll have to wait for it to come onto Netflix! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good :) Definitely one for the DVD collection! x

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! :)