Pages

Monday 7 January 2013

Tenkaichi - best Japanese restaurant in Cardiff?

Everyone loves a food post, right? On Saturday evening, my boyfriend and I went to Tenkaichi on City Road for dinner. We used to go quite regularly but hadn't been for about 6 months, so this was a hotly anticipated visit. I went to Tenkaichi for the first time a year and a half ago, after a lot of persuasion. I was under the naive impression that most Japanese food consisted of raw fish. I can now confirm that it doesn't, and you'll have plenty of choice if you refuse to eat raw fish. My favourite dishes at Tenkaichi include the Yaki Niku (stir fried beef in garlic sauce), Chicken Teriyaki Bento Box (slices of chicken and a selection of other sides), and the Unagi Kabayaki (grilled eel). I never thought  I'd try eel... it's honestly really tasty, and the texture isn't at all slimy.

We usually order 2 main meals and 3 sides between us... we like food. Here are some photos of the food from Saturday evening:


Yaki Niku and Spicy Tuna Maki



Kushi Katsu (Marinated chicken skewers deep fried in breadcrumbs)



Gyu Yaki Soba (Stir fried noodles with chicken, cabbage, beansprouts, carrots, green peppers, onions and Chinese leaf)


If you live in Cardiff and want to try a new restaurant, hopefully these photos will encourage you to try Tenkaichi. There's so much choice on the menu, the atmosphere is lovely and the service is very speedy and efficient. City Road is also very convenient and easy to get to, and there is always plenty of parking on the side streets. Let me know what you think!




3 comments:

  1. I have never eaten at Tenkaichi but I think it is the only Japanese restaurant on City Road - which means there's a lot to be said given that there's almost 40 takeaways/restaurants on the street. It always seems to be pretty busy in there. I'm glad the service is good - that really tends to affect my opinion of a place.
    All I know is that they got a hygiene score of 1 (which means major improvement necessary) in August because I wrote an article on the hygiene ratings on City Road: http://cardiffcityroad.wordpress.com/2012/12/07/scores-on-the-doors-takeaway-hygiene-ratings-on-city-road/
    If you review anywhere else on City Road please let me know - interested in anything and everything City Road!
    You can also vote for your favourite takeaway/restaurant on City Road here: http://cardiffcityroad.wordpress.com/2012/11/29/vote-for-your-favourite-takeaway-on-city-road/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummers! I really want to go back there... xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really surprised by the hygiene rating... I haven't actually been to many places to eat on City Road but Tenkaichi is a firm favourite. I can only assume that they've upped their game since the ratings were published!

    Liz, we should definitely go back when you're in Cardiff next x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! :)