Pages

Wednesday 13 February 2013

Restaurant review: Red Hot World Buffet

When Red Hot World Buffet first opened in Cardiff, I would happily have gone there every week. It's seriously like a Food Heaven. It's an all-you-can-eat restaurant, and you can choose from the following cuisines: Italian, British, Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Mediterranean, and American. Obviously you can mix and match as much as you want to, and your starters, main courses and desserts are all included in the price. I'm not usually a fan of all-you-can-eat places as the food quite often isn't of a high quality, but in Red Hot World Buffet everything always tastes really good. The various tureens are constantly replenished, and there's a huge variety of choice for everyone. There's plenty for vegetarians to eat too, so no one should feel as if they have a limited choice.

The service is always good, and you can guarantee that your plate will be taken away as soon as you've finished your last bite. Staff can be quite slow to serve drinks and to bring the final bill, but I don't think this is a big issue as the restaurant is always busy so the staff are usually rushed off their feet.

I went to Red Hot World Buffet last Friday with some friends from work, and promised myself beforehand that I wouldn't eat loads. In an all-you-can-eat restaurant, I always feel tempted to literally eat all I can eat in order to get my money's worth. This results in feeling very sick and having food guilt for about three days. I'd like to think I was fairly disciplined on Friday... my first plate consisted of three different kinds of potatoes, 3 onion bhajees and a small naan bread. I didn't take a photo of the first plate as it looked very dull and brown/beige. However, rest assured that I did enjoy it, especially the onion bhajees.



My second plate - Chicken tikka masala, chips, biryani, noodles, 
mango chutney and an onion bhajee


The chicken tikka masala didn't taste as good as it looked unfortunately, but everything else was delightful. I could have gone for a third plate of mains after this one, but decided to be disciplined and head for the desserts instead. I secretly just wanted to save some extra room for desserts... there are actually two aisles full of desserts. They have loads of ice cream, waffles, pancakes, sweets, sauces, cakes, crumbles, mousses, fruit, pavlova, and a load of other things which escape my mind for the time being. It's just a sugary paradise. I'm a firm believer that there's always room for dessert, however much food you've eaten beforehand.



My dessert plate... Strawberry and toffee ice cream with chocolate sauce, Tiramisu, Bailey's mini cheesecake, mini pancake, carrot cake, lemon and strawberry symphony, and Eton Mess 


Before you judge me for having such a massive selection of desserts, I didn't like the Tiramisu, Bailey's cheesecake or the lemon and strawberry symphony, so I left those. You win some, you lose some. The ice cream was immense, as was the Eton Mess. The mini pancake and carrot cake were also very nice, but not out of the ordinary. 

After all that, I was definitely ready for a little food nap. However, I still had room to eat the fortune cookie we were given with our bill. Obviously. 


Opportunity is knocking at my front door, apparently


We did have a chuckle at one of the decorations in the restaurant, following the recent scandal.


Horsemeat, anyone?


What do other people think of Red Hot World Buffet? And how many plates have you managed to consume?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In answer to your question, I shall direct you to this post: http://www.distractmenowplease.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/eatin-round-world.html

    I don't think I need to reiterate how much I love RHWB, but I will anyway. I LOVE RHWB.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! :)